Christmas Treats from Around the World!
Joyeux Noël! Feliz Navidad! Buon Natale! Wesołych świąt Bożego Narodzenia! Nollaig Shona! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – but also arguably the busiest! Between family gatherings, buying presents, and of course, the cold weather, it can be hard to maintain the healthy habits that you and your Super Troopers have established.
When it comes to the holidays, something most cultures have in common is that food traditions are an important part of the celebrations! However, tis the season to be healthy! We have gathered fun, healthy holiday recipes from around the world for you and your Super Troopers to enjoy while keeping with your healthy habits!
Sicilian Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Cauliflower (Italian)
- 50g pine nuts
- 300g Brussel sprouts
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 50g raisins
- 12 strands of saffron
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C or gas 6.
- Place the pine nuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven until golden, then set aside and allow to cool down.
- Trim the ends from the Brussel sprouts and slice them in half, keeping hold of the loose leaves.
- Cover the raisins in boiling water, leave for about 20 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Trim the outer leaves and base from the cauliflower and then cut it into small florets.
- Place the cauliflower florets and sprouts in a large roasting pan.
- Scatter the saffron threads over the cauliflower and sprouts and then pour the olive oil over the mixture. Season as desired and mix together gently.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the florets and sprouts are tender and starting to caramelise.
- Carefully transfer the roasted cauliflower and sprouts to a serving bowl; add the pine nuts and raisins, give the whole mixture a gentle stir to ensure everything is combined and coated in the saffron oil, and then serve!
Noodles with Cabbage (Polish)
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, fry the onion in one tablespoon of butter until golden but not browned.
- Add sauerkraut and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until warmed, stirring frequently. Then, place in a large bowl.
- Clean, trim and slice the mushrooms into thick slices.
- Fry mushrooms in remaining butter in a large frying pan for 5-7 minutes and then add to bowl with sauerkraut.
- Mix gently, add seasoning as desired, and then place into a buttered casserole and bake for 40-45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
Avocado Christmas Tree (American)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 tortilla wrap
- Spread the avocado over the tortilla wrap and then cut it into quarters.
- Using a small star cookie cutter, cut out 4 cheese star shapes. Place on the top (tip) of each tortilla wrap quarter.
- Place 5 tomato halves onto each quarter to represent the ornaments.
The holidays are such a fun and exciting time for families – we hope these yummy recipes help you and your Super Trooper have a happy and healthy holiday season! As always, be sure to check out our website, www.supertroopers.ie, for more holiday recipes and activities you can do as a family, and let us know how you get on by emailing us at email@example.com!
Merry Christmas from Super Troopers with Laya healthcare!